- Home >> knowledge center >> Chances of conceiving within one year
Chances of conceiving within one year
In Europe, North America and much of the world approximately 85% of couples will conceive within one year if they have regular unprotected sex. Averages in the UK are as follows (National Health Service):
- 20% will conceive within one month
- 70% will conceive within six months
- 85% will conceive within 12 months
- 90% will conceive within 18 months
- 95% will conceive within 24 months.
Therefore, doctors in the UK will not usually diagnose a couple as infertile until 24 months have passed without conception and regular unprotected sex. Most people will see their GP (general practitioner, primary care physician) if there is no pregnancy within 12 months.
According to the National Health Service, UK, a couple that has been trying to conceive for over three years has a maximum 25% chance of conceiving over the subsequent 12 months if they continue trying.